Friday, March 20, 2009

Pumpkin Stovetop Oats

Happy first spring day! It's so nice and sunny; I think that the earth is letting us know that she can still take good care of us.
Fresh Meals:This is my regular break-feast: 6 egg whites scrambled with mushrooms and peppers with a bowl of hot grains. Today my grains were stovetop uncontaminated oats with pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) and raisins. TiP: Cook 1/2c uncontaminated oats on the stove over medium heat with 2c water. When oats are partially cooked add in the pumpkin, sprinkle in flax and salba. Turn off heat, cover and let sit. This picture really shows the creamy goodness that is stovetop oats.
At 10am I ate my 1/2c beans and rice combo- same as last week. No picture.
Lunches this week have been big green iceberg letter salads with peppers topped with 3oz chicken breast diced. Sticking to about 1Tbsp vinaigrette to top. My post workout snack has been a wonderful collection of mixed fruits, normally with lunch as I eat it after my pm workouts.
Afternoon meal has been brussel sprouts roasted with garlic and balsamic vinegar and 1/2c cottage cheese (1%)-I love this meal. Good veggies, and I love cottage cheese. Suppers have been the standard chicken or white fish with vegetables. Last night I got a little creative because I was feeling lazy. So I had a yellow pepper filled with shredded chicken with bbq sauce and raisins with fresh tomatoe wedges on the side. As spring approaches, I crave more raw vegetables and fresh flavours rather than the rich warm flavours of the winter and autumn.

What flavors do you incorporate more during the spring?

No comments: