Sunday, July 27, 2008

GF Reece PBC layer cake

This was made of my daydreams. I scoured the internet and took the best of several recipes that I wanted to try. First I new I had to try Elana's GF chocolate cake recipe, then I had to try a peanut butter ganache, and finally, the Barefoot Contessa's PB icing. It all came together for my 26th cakes. The cake in the photo is about 4" high and 4" in diameter- perfect for sharing between me and husband. I used full recipes, so I made a couple of these layer cakes, and gave them away to my friends and some cupcakes too.

Here is the recipe in it's entirety:

Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake (GF) adapted from Elana's Pantry
¾ cup coconut flour, sifted
¼ cup cocoa (I used Mayan cocoa from Mexico)
1 teaspoon salt (I used Himilayan fine grind)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2oz best quality chocolate, melted
10 eggs
1 cup coconut oil
1 ½ cups agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (I used my Mexican vanilla)
  1. In a small bowl combine flour, cacao, salt and baking soda
  2. In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer, blend eggs, oil, agave nectar, vanilla and melted chocolate
  3. Add dry ingredients into large bowl and continue to blend
  4. Oil (2) 9 inch round cake pans and dust with coconut flour
  5. Pour batter into pans and bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes
  6. Remove from oven, allow to cool completely then remove from pans
  7. Frost and serve
I used 6 4"x2" circular pans and made 8 cupcakes too. I covered the top of the cakes with tinfoil halfway through to prevent the tops from burning. I then wrapped the cakes in plastic wrap and froze for two days. My birthday was on Friday, I made these on Wednesday. They froze well. The cake itself is very moist and mid-weight (not heavy, but not airy- I like heavier cakes, but this was a nice compliment to the heavy ganache and lighter icing).

Peanut Butter Chocolate Ganache adapted from Sparkpeople recipes
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp salted butter
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/3 - 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
Combine cream, butter and peanut butter in a microwave safe container, heat for short periods at a time until melted. Stir in chocolate until smooth.
I made this on Thursday night and stored in the fridge until it was time to decorate. Remove from fridge at least 1 hour before frosting, to return ganache to a spreadable consistency at room temperature.

Peanut Butter Icing from the Barefoot Contessa (best icing I've ever had!)
Kathleen's Peanut Butter Icing:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.

I made this on Thursday as well, and stored it overnight in the fridge, returning it to room temperature before spreading.

The cakes were different, one layered with chopped mini reeces and icing in the middle and icing around the sides topped with ganache. The others were layered with ganache and full mini reeces cups and topped with icing. The PB M&M's added some color.

No comments: