Monday, July 21, 2008

Cooking with Coconut Oil

Lately, I have been cooking with coconut oil. The taste is mild, but one can definitely taste the coconut once foods have been cooked in it- which I think is great, but others may not. In the morning, I use 1-2Tbsp to cook my Egg White (EW) omlette in and it tastes fantastic. On Friday night I used it to fry up some beef strips for a coconut-ginger stirfry and it was also a nice, subtle flavour. I have totally switched from olive oil, to coconut oil; for vinagrettes, cooking and soon, for baking it will replace my vegetable oils and perhaps butter, depending on the recipe.
Organic Facts quotes the following heatlh benefits to using organic, virgin coconut oil in your diet:
  • Less calories than other oils
  • This natural fat does not accumulate in your heart or arteries
  • Increases metabolism
  • Controls blood sugar
  • Strengthens the immune system
  • Improves digestive health

Go to your natural health store and get some...really...do!

No comments: