Thursday, June 5, 2008

Week Menu and Grocery List

***I posted this and thought I should explain- my meals are pretty low in carb servings like rice, beans, etc. because I have a carb-sensitive metabolism- no kidding I eat 1/2c rice and I gain 1lb (true- it happens!). I have a fantastic nutritionist who can let you know what is best for you-only follow the advice of a professional nutritionist (and that I am not!). I only post to give you an idea of the mechanics behind eating clean.

Clean Eating takes a lot of preparation and planning, and that ever elusive thing none of us really have- time. Sitting here planning my menu for the next week and making my shopping list takes a lot of brain capacity! I've been doing this for months now, so I can't imagine how it is for those who are just beginning to tighten up their meal planning. Here is what I have done for next week, to give you a sample of what I go through every week. It's become a habit now, and without question- TOTALLY worth it. Yes, you'll be paying more $$ for fresh lean protein as well as veggies, but how much do you put towards junk food?
I always start with a weekly menu- yes I eat the same basics every day for a week, but don't get bored...you'll see why.

June 9-14, 2008 Menu

Meal 1:1/2c oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar substitue; add 1T ground flax, 1T chia seeds; 6 egg whites, 1/2c veggies in omlette, 1 cup black coffee

Meal 2: Tuna salad; tuna, apple, celery, beets, black beans (only 1/2c black beans and 1/2 apple in each serving, so i'll make the salad, portion it and then add the beans and apple to each individual container). I top with a small amount of any condiment except mayo that I want (see why I don't get bored- my fridge is loaded with snazzy condiments)

Meal 3: Chicken, lettuce, misc. veg -Can make this into a salad, or use lettuce leaves for a wrap, again any condiment (i.e. salsa, bbq, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing)

Meal 4: Chicken, veg stix (this meal usually hits in the middle of an afternoon meeting, it must be quick and portable). Any condiment

Meal 5: Turkey meatballs in a vegetable soup or on a salad

Meal 6: 1/2c plain, non-fat yogurt mixed with 2 scoops chocolate or vanilla protein powder (usually around 9pm)

From there I make my shopping list: Anything on my list that isn't on my meal plan is for my partner's meal plan. He eats more rice and red meat than I do.

Costco: black beans, brown rice (my partner's meal plan uses about 2c rice a day!), ground turkey, Romaine lettuce, Asparagus, Yellow and Red Peppers, Tomatoes, Chicken breasts (fresh), Steak, Gr. Hamburger, Milk, Tuna, 3 doz eggs, 2.5L egg whites (come in 500ml containers), Chia seeds

Coop: Creamy Rice cereal, oatmeal, carrots, celery, apples, broccoli, yogurt, cottage cheese (I like putting a Tbs on salads instead of goat or other higher-fat cheese), ground flax

And finally a timeline for cooking/freezing/chopping/portioning

Friday- hit up the grocery stores- no one goes shopping on fri nights, soak the dry black beans overnight

Saturday- grill the chicken plain so it can be snazzed up by different condiments each day of the week, make the turkey meatballs, boil the beans. Basically- cook all your meat, dice it up and weigh it into portions. Freeze some for the latter half of the week, but keep some fresh.

Sunday- Cut veg stix, throw some into a pot of soup base for soup, portion the rest into containers (i usually pack 2c of veg sticks a day), make tuna salad using the beans I boiled on Saturday

It's so much easier than it looks, just throw your meat in to cook and you have free time while it cooks. Then just spend about 45min on Sunday chopping veggies and you're done. You'll thank yourself during the week, when healthy choices are already for you in YOUR fridge- well done!

2 comments:

Prairiedog said...

Hi Jade,

Couple of Clean Eating questions that I'd like your opinion on...
When you have cottage cheese as your protein, counts as your dairy for the day too right?? 1/2 cup serving?
Beans count as a complex carb, so you should eat them with protein?
Would you consider hummus a protein or a complex carb?
For grains, is a serving size 1/2 cup cooked or raw?
Should I be paying close attention to my ideal training heart rate? I just tend to push myself as hard as I can so that I have a good sweat. But, according to literature, for my age, should really be staying around 160 to burn most fat. Thoughts?
Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Hi Prairiedog-Love your name!
I don't have cottage cheese as a protein, I have it as a carb and it counts as one of my dairy servings. I use it at night, 1/2c mixed with protein powder- tastes like pudding! a treat.
I consider beans to be like rice and eat them with protein and veggies. My fave thing to do right now is make a big pot of rice, another pot of beans and mix the two together and add some corn. I measure a 1/2c of this and top it with some ground turkey for a meal.
I would consider hummus a condiment and eat no more than 3T of it. And decrease your carbs for the meal you eat it with. It is a bean after all.
Measure grains, like rice and beans cooked. Measure oatmeal and cream of rice dry (pre-cooked).
I haven't paid attention to my heart rate in terms of a monitor or bpm, but I do think it's important to be aware of how your body is performing. Push yourself during cardio and weight training so that you could not hold a conversation more than a few words at a time. Exercise is not social time- it's exercise time. If you're biking, push for a constant rpm as you increase resistance. If you're walking on the treadmill, push for a consistant rate of speed.
Have I clarified everything? Please let me know. I loved reading your comment. Do you have a good hummus recipe you'd like to share?
Love,
Jade