Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Clean Oatmeal Raisin Cookies



Dads have everything; really, unless they can eat or drink your gift, they will probably just store your gift for Father's Day along with every other knick knack you've gotten them since you've had a paycheque. So this year, knowing my Dad's love for cookies for breakfast, I decided to make him the cleanest cookies I could. His favorite is Oatmeal Raisin; and there just happend to be a recipe for them in Clean Eating's Summer 2008 issue.

I had to make some changes of course, so this is loosely based on the published version. I added the pb to give it some more moisture and protein. These were golden on the bottom, and a nice cakey, not too chewy, not too crispy texture. Lovely if you ask me. Also, I soaked the raisins in 1tsp of vanilla and 1/2c water for about 2 hrs to soften them up; the secret to plump raisins in your cookies. I encourage you to try these next time you're hankering for a oatmeal raisin fix; cleaner than most recipes.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (2 doz)
1/2c canola oil
1/3c+2Tbsp honey
1 egg white
3/4tsp vanilla extract
3Tbsp water
2Tbsp natural peanut butter
2c slow-cooking oats
2/3c whole wheat baking flour (or gluten-free mix of your choice)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2tsp baking soda
2/3c rasins
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix (can be done by hand easily) oil and honey. Add peanut butter; when well-mixed add egg white, vanilla and water. Add oats, flour, salt, soda, raisins and cinnamon. Don't over-mix; you want to retain the large flakes of oatmeal. Drop Tbsp-size balls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Let cool on cooling racks before eating.
For gifting baking, I buy plain brown paper bags and write messages of my own on them, or use a colorful ribbon/rafia w/ hole punch to tie bag at top. Line the bag with a sheet of wax paper to reduce oil spots.

No comments: