Tuesday, June 10, 2008

GF Peanut Butter Bars



I love cookies, my favorite treat is a heaping bowl of ice cream, over 2-3 large cookies, microwaved for a couple seconds to soften. I am certainly a cookie monster, so my GF diagnosis has been hard to take. And as some of you know, I have already failed at GF cookie baking so I thought that a bar cookie would eliminate the problem of spreading. I came across Celiac Chick's recipe for Peanut Butter Bars, which looked spectacular for a PB&C addict like me. These are my new favorite indulgence, though mine turned out more like a peanut butter brownie than a pb cookie. Soft and moist, almost uncooked in the center- just how I like my brownies. So I'm still searching for a solution to my cookie conundrum, but these were a welcome mishap along the way.

I cut the recipe in half, and used a loaf pan; so I didn't feel so bad about eating half of them right away- the rest are in my freezer waiting for another treat meal. See her original recipe for a larger batch.

Small Batch GF Peanut Butter Bars

8 oz. organic natural peanut butter (the kind with peanuts listed as the only ingredient)

1 egg

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 cup honey

1/2c mix of chocolate chips and pb chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix with an electric hand mixer until blended. Spray a loaf pan with your favorite non-stick method (I used Pam). The layer will be very thin, don't worry- it puffs up amazingly! Sprinkle the chips on top and bake for 20-25min.

They brown quite a bit, so don't worry if the edges look a little dark; try turning down the temperature on the oven, and cooking for longer if you prefer a less chewy/raw center- I couldn't wait and I do like the fudgy center.

Some future uses for this recipe: I will add coconut, maybe a little oatmeal to see if I can make them closer to monster cookies.

No comments: