Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Power

Each of us has it: Power. Though too often we don't really recognize it, or feel it within ourselves. It is easier to see others' power; the influence of a politician, or celebrity or even the charisma of a co-worker or friend.
I felt mine today as I left the gym; accomplished, strong and healthy. I was calm and purely present in the moment. This combination of vitality and peace is my place of power; I could feel it surging in my body, breath, mind and heart. But the thing about power is, once you have it, you must concede it. Without being open to the influence of others, the environment and life one can become isolated, coercive, arrogant and disconnected. And so I humbled myself by expressing gratitude for the light spring shower and the smell of lilacs on my walk back to the office.

No comments: