Friday, June 20, 2008

Cookie Monster- Monster Cookies

This isn't a pretty post. What you'll see here is ugly...a whole lotta ugly. Last week I went by the bookstore to pick out a gift for a graduate of high school; normally I would swing to Dr. Seuss' Oh The Places You'll Go and I was tempted by Curious Georges' You:On your Way! But these seemed a little cliche. Digging a little deeper into the childrens section I ran accross David Horvath and Sun-Mun Kim's Ugly Guide to the Uglyverse. Flipping though I realized it was perfect; it talks about a monster town with monster room-mates who will steal your stuff, about monster line-ups at supermarkets when you're grocery shopping, about monster bosses at your first job. Perfect for a grad finding her way into the world and experiencing all of this for the first time. I took it home and chuckled more than once at the ridiculouse illustrations and simplistic story. I even sighed at the conclusion (yes I'm ruining the story) when they wrap up by saying that Ugly means really just being yourself, in all your ugliness in an uglyverse.

Fittingly, and very much coincidently, my GF baking adventure last weekend was Monster Cookies, which turned out UGLY! but tasty nonetheless. Try the original recipe here, if you're looking for 5 dozen monster-size monster cookies. I scaled it back and got 7 big cookies. Note: these contain oatmeal- oats are not generally gluten free, so ensure that you are using special, GF oats (available at any health store) if needed. I also added coconut to the original.
Small Batch GF Monster Cookies
1 egg, beaten
1/3tsp corn syrup (I used honey instead)
2Tbs + 2 tsp butter
1/2c natural peanut butter
1/3 tsp vanilla
2/3tsp baking soda
1/3c brown sugar
1/3c splenda
1 1/2c GF oats, slow cooking
1/4c M&M's
3 Tbsp flaked coconut
1/4c chocolate chips

Beat together egg, syrup or honey, pb, and vanilla, add in oats, sugars and soda- stir with a sturdy wooden spoon. Add candy and coconut, stir into mixture. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop by heapfuls, may press down slightly if needed. Bake at 350F until puffy, but still soft (about 10 min); remove from oven and let cool on sheet for crispier cookies, and on a cooling rack for chewier ones.
Ugly little guys aren't they?

No comments: