Friday, January 16, 2009

Cocoa Nibs Shortbread

The cookies in the picture are about the size of a twoonie in diameter- cute little gluten-free shortbread cookies using cocoa nibs as an accent. Shortbread is one of the few cookies where rice or corn flours or starches result in a better texture than wheat flour- a gluten-free favorite!

Cocoa Nib Shortbread
adapted from Fitness and Freebies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing confectioners' sugar
1 cup rice flour

3/4 cup butter

Sift cornstarch, sugar and rice flour together.
Add butter. Mix with hands until soft dough forms. Form into a log about the diameter of a twoonie, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour. Cut dough into slices about 1.5cm thick. Place about 1-1/4 inches apart on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Fresh Today: Meals and Training
No training today at all, I looked at my calendar and discovered I had not had a day of pure rest for 16 days- that means I've had one or two workouts a day for 16 days straight. I could tell that my body was exhausted this morning when I got up at 515am and was struggling through my workout. 10 minutes into it I shut it down and sat for a meditation instead. I love mornings and was awake anyway; going back to bed wasn't appealing and meditation gives me more rejuvenation than laying awake in bed waiting to get up.
These are my planned meals for today:
730am: 6 egg whites, 2T ground salba, 2T ground flax, 2T psyllium husks, 1/2c oats (into pancakes), 1T coconut oil, 2T agave nectar, 2c coffee (a treat!)
1030am: 3oz chicken breast, 1/2c yams
100pm: 3oz ground turkey in veggie chili (about 1.5c total)
400pm: 1 small can oceans flavoured tuna (dill), 8oz baby carrots, 2T vinaigrette (not sure when I'll get this meal as I've got a client consult between 2pm and 4pm)
630pm: 3oz ground turkey with sauted peppers and tomatoes over salad greens

Take care of yourself today!

No comments: