Friday, August 29, 2008

Labour Day Weekend Kickoff

It's labour day long weekend. Did you know that it's roots are in the 8 hour Labour movement- 8 hours for work, 8 hours for recreation and 8 hours for rest? See the Wikipedia article on Labour day for more information. This site even claims that Canada gave the world Labour Day- isn't that a lofty claim? I think there were millions of people around the world in different countries who wanted a day of rest just as badly as Canadians do.

With that in mind, what are you doing to rest this weekend? To reward yourself for all your hard work throughout the year? We were going to head out and do some more surfing, but with the forecast for 11C temperature with rain, we will not. Even a dry suit wouldn't get me in that water- I'd have to wear a parka under it.

This week has been great at work, but busy- so I will be taking advantage and sleeping in on Saturday to restore some energy and balance. Sunday of course I will do my long run- 16k this time around. This last week I caught up on my mileage (kilometerage for Canucks) on the road for training for the half-marathon. I logged 18k in the last 3 days, including hill training which entailed running up and down the same hill 7 times consecutively. The runs have been in the mornings, when the moon and stars are still out.
My meals this week have been a little different as I'm studying up on Ayurveda, which I will post more on once I get my head around some specifics on nutrition and fitness. Today my meals are as follows:
7am: 6 egg whites omlette with 1 mushroom and 1/4 pepper cooked in 1Tbsp coconut oil, 1/4c creamy rice cereal, 1Tbsp raisins, 1Tbsp salba, 1c black coffee
11am: 3oz grilled chicken breast, 1/2c beans/rice mixture, 3Tbsp salsa
3pm: 3oz grilled chicken breast, 8oz raw bell pepper mixture
7pm: 3oz tuna, 6 oz lettuce salad, 2Tbsp salad dressing
9pm: optional 1/2c plain, non-fat yogurt, 1 scoop Optimum Whey Protein Powder (Vanilla) if I feel hungry
I am eating every 4 hours instead of every 2.5-3hours according to the Pitta (my dosha) metabolism cycle. I've also cut out a lot of the foods that throw Pitta's into imbalance like raw carrots and tomatoes.
Why did I switch it up? Because I'm striving for balance now- for a wholistic health. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same results: and so maybe to prove I'm not insane I'm trying something different than my weights-heavy fitness and a new eating schedule. I'm still gaining weight at an alarming speed, while sticking to a strict, clean meal plan and training schedule. Perhaps this will ease my system into equilibrium and stop the inexplicable gain.
Happy, Peaceful Resting!
VisViva

No comments: