Tuesday, August 12, 2008

GF Lemon Ricotta Tart


I have to admit, I'm an internet-troll. I troll the internet looking for bits and pieces that I'd like to try, and normally end up combining two or three different recipes to create one I like. I also modify most of my recipes by using grapeseed oil or vegetable oil instead of butter, and of course gluten free flour mixes for regular flours. This recipe is an example of taking several recipes and making them "Jade-friendly" or for "you-friendly" if you want to cut the fat and calories and eliminate gluten in your fave baking.

I started with a tub of ricotta left over from some spinach-stuffed portabello mushrooms (recipe on it's way!). I wanted to try ricotta in a sweet dish as I have always used it for more savory recipes. A search on my favorite
tool, the Food Blog Search returned many ricotta tart recipes. I choose this one to use for the filling, because of it's simplicity. And I choose this one to use for the crust. With my modifications, the recipe is below.
I will change the recipe next time I make it, perhaps use more lemon zest in the filling, and potentially add coconut to the almond crust to enhance the flavour of the lemon. The texture of the filling is not as creamy as a marscapone filling, but nice and light.

Lemon Ricotta Tart with Almond Crust (GF)
Almond Tart or Pie Crust modified from the Gluten Free Goddess
1 cup ground almond meal
3/4 cup agave nector or honey
2 Tbsp egg whites (or 1 egg white), beaten
1 Tbsp applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salta
dash of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Using your fave non-stick method, prepare a tart pan (I use coconut oil). Mix ground almonds, sugar, egg, extract, salt & spice. Spread the almond mixture into the pie plate and press lightly to form a crust. You may put dry beans on top of the crust to keep it flat while baking- similar to using pie weights. Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes, until the crust is firm. Cool before filling.

Lemon Ricotta Filling
modified from Once Upon a Cakestand
grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 whole eggs (don't subsitute on this)
350g
ricotta
3/4c agave nectar
Icing sugar- for garnish
Place all ingredients in a food processor and mix until combined. Pour into cooled almond crust and bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 min, until the filling is set. Cool and dust with icing sugar.

No comments: