Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bob

This morning was a glorious workout; I actually breathed in and could feel my breath recharging me. I've become so numb lately due to stresses of work and home life. My husband got laid off almost 6 weeks ago which has negatively affected my nutrition goals; he's and I started treating ourselves more than usual. We've been consistent in our training, but using food to comfort and reward ourselves. I'm ready to leave that off.
Who is Bob? Bob helped me breathe deeper and see the sunlight shining brighter as I walked back to the office after my workout. Bob is a 78 year old friend of mine whom I used to see every single day at the gym in the morning, lifting iron after walking to and from the gym. I hadn't seen him in 6 months- he had cancer. He had survived chemotherapy and surgery and was back in the gym today for the first time, to get back into his schedule. He commented on his wife's health (sadly, not doing well from the stress of his diagnosis).
Looking into his beautiful, playful blue eyes I realized how excellent a person he was. His strength, kindness and mischievousness shone through.
What a gift to see Bob today. Only by being curious, lifting my head and smiling at the strangers around me did I ever build a relationship with him. What beautiful conversations are you missing today because your head is down and your life is 'too full'? Be curious and I guarantee you'll be inspired.

No comments: