Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Leg Training: Stregth

I'm using a new trainer, he's the most relentless, punishing and motivating trainer I have ever had: my husband. I had always shied away from mixing training and marriage, but gave it a try because I over-thought training as usual and he could offer a fresh, no-cost perspective. Do you train with your partner/spouse?
He's got me decreasing my training, because he could see I was over-doing again; a trap I fall into because I think nothing of spending hours in the gym during the day on top of a pre-breakfast workout. He can see it from a different focal point, and notices changes in my body sometimes before I do. Excellent qualities for a trainer to have; and also, he wants the best for me- to be happy and healthy. I can say that he has picked up some of Jillian Micheal's hard-core don't-quit diatribes which he enjoys spouting at me when I give up.

He picked a great program from my most recent Oxygen magazine. And here is what I did today for legs:
Duration: 35min Quads/Hams/Calves alternating Heavy/Light
Smith Machine Squats (70lbs, 4 sets, 6 reps) Heavy
Reverse Lunges (5lb Dumbbells, 4 sets, 15 reps) Light
Hamstring Curls (75lbs, 4 sets, 6 reps) Heavy
Deadlifts (20lbs, 4 sets, 6 reps) Heavy
Standing Calf Raises (5lb Dumbbels, 4 sets, 15 reps)
I'll increase my weight on a few of these next week; it's a new program so I'm testing my strength. I'm also just getting back into structured weight training after a hiatus into aerobics and interval (strength and cardio) training. Feels great to have legs so sore I can barely stand in my 3" heels at work after. Accomplished!

No comments: